Dustless Floor Refinishing Philadelphia PA
Many homeowners want to remove their ugly carpeting and expose the beautiful wooden floorboards underneath. Unfortunately, not all people can take the dust-caused allergies brought about by sanding and refinishing a floor. That’s why dustless sanding and refinishing was invented. Dustless floor refinishing helps restore a hardwood floor without generating harmful dust particles.
What is Dustless Refinishing?
Dustless floor refinishing is the process of stripping away the old finishing of hardwood floors without using a conventional sander. Sanders are highly effective at removing the thick layers of finish on a wooden floor. However, they generate a lot of dust particles that can be harmful to the health.
Dustless floor refinishing is usually done in three steps.
1. A chemical wash and abrasive removes the existing finish. It also prepares the wood to receive urethane coats.
2. The urethane coats are bonded with a sealant.
3. A final urethane coat is applied as a finish.
The steps and chemicals will vary depending on the contractor and the materials to be used. Still, the principle remains the same.
Advantages of Dustless Floor Refinishing
There are certain advantages to dustless floor refinishing over the traditional methods. These are:
1. Does Not Trigger Allergies. Dust formed after sanding causes health problems such as allergies and rhinitis. In addition, prolonged exposure to dust can cause severe respiratory diseases. These can be prevented by a dustless refinishing.
2. Less Hazardous. Few people are aware that dust can actually trigger explosions. Dust and other fine particles can cover a large surface area, especially if they start floating around. In the event that a single dust particle is ignited, it causes a chain reaction, igniting the other dust particles around it. This results in a massive fireball.
3. Shorter Down Time. Dustless floor refinishing takes a shorter time to complete than traditional methods. In fact, professional contractors can easily refinish a room in a day.
4. Costs Less. Dustless refinishing also costs less than traditional refinishing. That’s because it needs fewer equipment and people and takes less time to complete.
Myths About Dustless Refinishing
Dustless refinishing has several advantages over traditional methods. However, clients need to understand that all refinishing techniques are not perfect. This means they need to watch out for some of the myths about dustless refinishing.
1. Dustless = Dust Free. Dustless floor refinishing minimizes the dust generated when working on wood floors. However, this does not mean the process is 100% dust free. The process will generate some dust. However, it will remain at a manageable and even unnoticeable level.
2. Dustless Refinishing Works On Everything. Dustless refinishing works great for majority of wood floors. However, if the damage is too deep or too expansive, traditional sanding may be required.
3. Floors Need to Be Refinished Every 2-3 Years. If a refinishing project is done right, a floor will not require sanding or refinishing for a period of 10-20 years. In relation to this, dustless refinishing actually extends the life of hardwood floors.
The fact is, hardwood floors naturally get cracks and holes over time. Whenever the floor is sanded, some of the dust accumulates in those cracks. If they are not vacuumed properly, the putty used to seal the cracks will adhere to the dust. This means when the dust gets dislodged, so will the putty; thus exposing the holes of the floor boards. Dustless floor refinishing prevents this from occurring.
Refinishing old hardwood floors is a tedious and time consuming process. That said, finding a good dustless floor refinishing contractor can help homeowners achieve their desired floors without having to spend a fortune.
Written by: Hardwood Floors Philadelphia PA